FRENCH ONION AND GARLIC SOUP
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
5-6 garlic clovers
4 slices brown bread
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
4 cups vegetable stock
salt to taste
¼ teaspoon white pepper powder
¼ cup grated cheese
1. Chop three to four garlic cloves and keep the remaining whole.
2. Cut the brown bread into small round slices. Apply one tablespoon olive oil and rub with whole garlic cloves. Toast till crisp.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a non stick pan, and sauté the inions on medium heat till brown. Drain well keeps a few slices aside for garnishing.
4. To same oil, add the chopped garlic and sauté till light brown. Add carrot and sauté for few minutes.
5. Add the vegetable stock and bring it to a boil. Lower hat and let it simmer for ten to fifteen minutes.
6. Add the salt and white pepper powder.
7. To serve, ladle the soup in t individual bowls float the toasted brown bread, top it with grated cheese and fired brown onions and serve hot.
Since the quantity of oil used for frying the onion is minimal, the sliced onion would not become crisp as in the case of traditional French onion soup
Garlic acts as a rejuvenator. It removes toxins, revitalizes the blood and stimulates blood circulation. Carrots and cheese are rich in vitamins a and calcium. So this soup is not just tasty it is very healthy too.